Summer Intensive 2020: June 8 -July 17, 2020
Oklahoma City Ballet’s Summer Intensive is open to students who are 13 to 23 years old as of June 1. Acceptance to the program is by audition only. Female students need to have at least two years of pointe training. Students may attend a four- or six-week session, although only six-week attendees will be able to participate in the final workshop performance. Company Apprentices, Studio Company dancers, and Trainees for Oklahoma City Ballet are selected from the summer intensive program.
Students at Oklahoma City Ballet’s Summer Intensive are immersed in a rigorous professional training program. The curriculum includes classes in ballet, pointe, men’s technique, variations, partnering, composition, jazz, modern, Pilates, yoga, nutrition, dance history, and injury prevention taught by renowned guest artists and Oklahoma City Ballet faculty. This year’s faculty will include Oklahoma City Ballet Artistic Director Robert Mills, Oklahoma City Ballet’s former Principal and current Ballet Master Miki Kawamura Khalfan, and Principal and Soloist Dancers from Oklahoma City Ballet.
Fees & Forms
- Summer Intensive Video Audition Registration Form
- Scholarship Application (Due March 16)
- Letter of Intent and Tuition/Room & Board Deposit (Due May 1)
- Forms Due May 15
- Dietary Restrictions and Travel form (Due May 15)
- Registration Check List
You are welcome to email all forms to Amanda Herd-Popejoy, Trainee Program Coordinator.
Fees for the Summer Intensive program include tuition fees and room/board fees as follows:
- Tuition: $2400
- Dormitory Room/Board Fees: $3810
- Tuition: $1600
- Dormitory Room/Board Fees: $2540
Dormitory students reside on the campus of Oklahoma City University. They are supervised by Resident Assistants of Oklahoma City Ballet. Breakfast and dinner on campus and a boxed lunch will be provided Monday through Friday. On weekends the students will have meals provided each day by the university’s dining facilities. Students ages 13 to 17 are supervised by Resident Assistants at all times outside of classes. Transportation is provided to and from the dance studios and to and from all activities.
Past activities have included trips to the Oklahoma City Zoo, The Oklahoma City Museum of Art, Myriad Gardens, The Science Museum Oklahoma, summer performances at the Lyric Theatre, and OKC Riversport Adventures.
Oklahoma City Ballet offers a limited number of tuition scholarships to our summer intensive students. Students receiving tuition assistance will be notified by email by March 25. Scholarships will be preferentially offered to students attending the entire six weeks of the program. Applications without supporting tax documentation materials will not be reviewed. Financial Aid application must be received by March 16, 2020.
- March 16 – Financial Aid applications due
- April 24 – Video Audition submissions deadline
- May 1 – Letter of Intention to Attend, $250 nonrefundable Tuition Deposit, and $250 nonrefundable Room/Board Deposit due. Deposits count toward tuition and room/board totals and are nonrefundable.
- May 15 – Tuition Balance and Room/Board Fee Balance due in full. There is a $200 late fee for Room/Board balances paid after May 15 and a $200 late fee for Tuition balances paid after May 15. Some additional forms are required on this date.
- May 15 – All remaining forms are due.
Note: Students who do not complete and submit all required forms (health insurance information, release forms, medical information, etc.) will not be permitted to attend the Summer Intensive.
- If there is a cancelation due to COVID-19, please allow 4-6 weeks for full refunds
- There are no refunds for the Non-Refundable Room/Board or Tuition Deposits.
- Room/Board Fees are refundable until May 15.
- Tuition Fees are partially refundable (one-half of tuition) if enrollment is canceled before June 1.
- No Tuition refunds will be issued after June 1.
Female students must wear a black leotard, full-length pink tights, ballet slippers for class, and pointe shoes for the pointe section of the audition. Male students must wear a white t-shirt, full-length black tights, and ballet slippers. A completed application form, a 4 x 6 photo of the full body in 1st arabesque are required. Registration at the audition sites begins 30 minutes prior to the posted start time. The audition fee may be paid by cash, check, or money order. Dancers will be notified by email of acceptance or non-acceptance within two weeks of each audition.
Students unable to attend an audition in person may send a DVD or online video link no longer than 10 minutes showing center adage, center pirouettes, petit allegro, and grand allegro. Ladies should also show three pointe combinations that include echappes, releves, en dehors pirouettes, and an en dedans pirouette combination or manege.
If mailing a DVD, please include a Registration Form. DVD auditions should be mailed to OKC Ballet, c/o School Director, 6800 North Classen Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73116. DVDs will not be returned. Deadline for submission is April 24, 2020.